Barcelona president won't rule out bid for Pogba: 'We'll see'

by

Speculation over Paul Pogba’s future at Manchester United could linger until the end of August following vague comments from Barcelona’s president about the club’s reported interest in the midfielder.

Despite scoring in United’s season-opening win over Leicester City, Pogba added to reports of a strained relationship with manager Jose Mourinho, suggesting he would get fined for speaking his mind when given the chance to dispel rumors he’s unsettled with the club.

Barcelona has been in touch with Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, to offer a package deal of €50 million, plus Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes, which was reportedly rejected by United earlier this month.

Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu implied that Barcelona could be busy in the weeks before the transfer window closes in Spain. But he wasn’t willing to confirm or deny an interest in Pogba after his side’s triumph over Sevilla in the Spanish Super Cup on Sunday.

(Photo courtesy: Getty Images)

“I never speak about (specific) names, you know it,” Bartomeu told Spanish TV, as translated by Adriana Garcia of ESPN FC.

“Furthermore, there is respect for other clubs. The truth is that there are 20 days remaining in the transfer window. I do not say it for this player (Pogba).

“It is better you ask about the topic of players to (Barca technical director Eric) Abidal, (assistant technical director Ramon) Planes or (sporting manager) Pep Segura. We still have days remaining in the market to take action if needed.”

Pogba opened the scoring on Friday during his first match as United’s captain, but then he cast doubt over his future after the win over Leicester.

“There are things, and there are things that I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined,” he said.

Pogba’s possible signing with Barcelona would follow the arrivals of Arturo Vidal, Malcom, Clement Lenglet, Arthur, and Moussa Wague at Camp Nou.

<